Frequently Asked Questions

 What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?

Speech-Language Pathologists diagnose and provide treatment for children and adults with a variety of speech-language, cognitive, voice, and feeding-swallowing problems.

What kinds of speech and language disorders affect children?
Speech and language disorders can affect the way children talk, understand, analyze or process information. Speech disorders include the clarity, voice quality, and fluency of a child's spoken words. Language disorders include a child's ability to hold meaningful conversations, understand others, problem solve, read and comprehend, and express thoughts through spoken or written words.


At what age should I seek out help for my child?

Our Speech-Language Pathologist work with children from birth to young adults. If you are concerned about your child's communication skills, please call  our office to find out if your child should be seen for a communication evaluation. The early months of your child's life are of great importance for good social skills, emotional growth, and intelligence!


Is my child developing speech and language at a normal rate?

There are differences in the age at which an individual child understands or uses specific language skills. The following list provides information about general speech and language development. If your child is not doing 1 -2 of the skills in a particular age range, your child may have delayed hearing, speech, and language development. If you have concerns about your child's speech/language development please contact our office to find out if an evaluation is necessary.


How long will my child need speech therapy?

The length of therapy depends on the severity of the problem and the rate of progress made in the therapy sessions and during reinforcement at home and in the community.


Does insurance cover therapy and what insurance plans do you accept? 

Most insurance carriers cover speech and occupational therapy services. Communicare Therapy Services, Inc. is an in-network provider for all major carriers including:

Blue Cross Blue Shield, Amerigroup, Peachstate, and Medicaid.


What if my insurance does not cover speech therapy or occupational therapy? 

If you are not covered by health insurance or if your specific plan does not reimburse for speech-language services, private pay options are available. 

We have worked with many insurance plans and successfully appealed denials. We are willing to work with you to advocate for coverage of speech-language therapy.


What is a receptive language disorder?

Receptive language includes the skills involved in understanding language. Receptive language disorders are difficulties in the ability to attend to, process, comprehend, and/or retain spoken language.


What is an expressive language disorder?
Expressive language includes the skills involved in communicating one's thoughts and feelings to others. An expressive language disorder concerns difficulty with verbal expression.


What is an articulation disorder?
Articulation is the production of speech sounds. An articulation disorder is when a child does not make speech sounds correctly due to incorrect placement or movement of the lips, tongue, velum, and/or pharynx. It is important to recognize that there are differences in the age at which children produce specific speech sounds in all words and phrases. Mastering specific speech sounds may take place over several years.

What is a phonological disorder?
Phonology refers to the speech sound system of language. A phonological disorder is when a child is not using speech sound patterns appropriately. A child whose sound structures are different from the speech typical for their stage of development, or who produce unusual simplifications of sound combinations may be demonstrating a phonological disorder.


How do I make a referral?
To make a referral for a Speech-Language-Cognitive Evaluation, Voice Evaluation please call CTS at 678-619-0178 or complete the patient intake form.